top of page

ABOUT US

Who are We -

We are a community grounded in God’s grace.

We are a community of worship and welcome - traditional and contemporary. 
We are a community where staff and members partner in the work of God's Kingdom.
We are a community reconciled to God and the world through the forgiveness of Jesus Christ.

We are a community where children are loved and nurtured in faith.

We are a community called to share the love of Jesus in our everyday lives through service to others.

We are a community uplifted in weekly worship, connected in service, fed through God’s Word

and Sacrament, directed in prayer, and sent forth to share the love of Christ in word and deed.

A Brief History...

It was on December 18, 1909, that nine Norwegian men met with Pastor A.E. Moe of Stanwood to talk about the possibility of building a Lutheran Church in Anacortes where Norwegian families could get together and worship God in their native language. At that first meeting it was decided they would go forward on organizing and building the new church. 

At the next meeting on January 16, 1910, there were thirty-two members present and $315 was pledged. It was also decided the name of this church would be Anacortes Norwegian Lutheran Church. On August 14, 1910, just eight months after that first meeting, the first worship service was held in the new church. This little white church located at 20th and "O" Avenue was our church home until 1937.

There had been a Swedish Lutheran Church in Anacortes for a number of years, but that congregation dissolved in 1936, and shortly after that our congregation purchased that property and began having service there. That church building is part of our existing Narthex, nursery and library.

At the annual meeting in January 1942, it was voted to change the name Anacortes Norwegian Lutheran Church to Anacortes Lutheran Church. In the early 1950's the need for more room made it necessary to begin planning a building program. That is when our current sanctuary was built and it was dedicated in 1954. In the early 1960's it became necessary to begin planning a new educational building. In 1963 the program begun and this building was dedicated May 9, 1965. The Little Christian School now called Anacortes Lutheran Preschool was started in 1975. Its purpose was to offer young children a Christian setting to grow, learn and develop physically, socially and spiritually. 

We are an active congregation with many opportunities for fellowship, service, discipleship and worship for all ages. Join us as we continue to grow with God's blessings and amazing grace!

Sunday Worship service at 9:30 am

In-person and Live-stream  

bottom of page